Every day, CIHI contributes to improving Canada's health system and the health of Canadians through the collection and analysis of information. At the heart of this work is our winning team of highly skilled, knowledgeable professionals who care about making a difference. CIHI makes it a priority to understand and celebrate the contribution of each and every one of our talented and dedicated staff members.
Range Minimum: $93,500
Reports To: Director, Health System Performance
The Senior Researcher is responsible for leading the successful completion of analytical activities prioritized by the Health System Performance Branch. These activities include the application of a broad range of advanced statistical methods to lead the development and reporting of health indicators and health system performance and the health population. The Senior Researcher will also provide valuable input into the design of reporting tools and research studies. In addition, he/she will contribute to the development of analytical skills among staff and serve as an expert resource for priority projects within CIHI. The Senior Researcher will improve and accelerate the production of new and actionable health information that is relevant to decision-makers at the regional, provincial and pan-Canadian levels. The Senior Researcher plays a key role in ensuring that the outputs reported by the branch and CIHI are accurate and relevant.
- Leads the analytical aspects of multiple research and health indicator development and reporting projects in a way that supports the overall objectives for the Branch.
- Works collaboratively with the Manager(s) to ensure that the analytical objectives of the team are fulfilled. Oversees the successful completion of the analytical worked required of the Branch.
- Develops and implements analytical plans for developing and reporting health research and health indicators and performance measurements. This includes preparing analytical plans, assembling project teams, ensuring quality outputs and on-time completion of analytical work.
- Develops risk adjustment and multi-variate statistical models consistent with the analytical plans for projects. Oversees the application of these models in the production of outputs.
- Serves as an expert resource on methodological issues related to indicators and the analysis of health data. This includes supporting other areas within CIHI as well as to external stakeholders such as provincial ministries, regions, hospitals and researchers.
- Provides advice on the identification, feasibility and scientific merit of analytic studies identified for future work.
- Provides expert advice on assigned projects such as how to best develop indicators, carry out appropriate risk adjustments, and the most appropriate approach to reporting health indicators and performance measurement.
- Prepares reports and background/discussion papers related to indicators. Possibly prepares papers for peer-reviewed journals on approved topics related to health indicators as requested.
- Contributes to the promotion of CIHI products and services through participation on external committees, presentations and/or attendance at conferences, and other activities, as required.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external clients (e.g. Statistics Canada) as required.
- Coaches and mentors analytical staff within the Branch and contributes to enhancing analytical skills across CIHI.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in health indicators across Canada as well as internationally. Establishes and maintains the relevant professional contacts at the provincial, national and international levels.
- Represents the Health Indicators team as a health indicators expert on internal and external committees. Strengthens CIHI’s relationships with external clients and organizations.
Knowledge and Experience
- Graduate degree in Biostatistics, Epidemiology or related field; or equivalent education/experience. PhD would be a definite asset.
- Over 5 years of relevant experience in leading, managing and carrying out advanced analytical activities across a broad range of health services research projects.
- Extensive experience working with Indicators and Performance Measurement would be an asset.
- Extensive experience using a broad range of health-related administrative databases, including experience with record linkage.
- Strong project management skills and extensive experience coaching and mentoring analytical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to complete multiple complex analytical projects on schedule.
- A very high level of proficiency with SAS and other statistical software. Experience with SQL would be an asset.
- A good understanding of the Canadian health care system.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a high-paced team setting and to work independently.
- Able to meet occasional travel requirements.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
Interested candidates should apply online at www.cihi.ca/careers.
We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: September 26, 2011